1. Some people need a "movement" to hide behind. A number of them are in the loop until tuesday in the mood to kick up some dust. The auspice of NATO may not encompass Wall Street, yet the Occupy Movement protestors are all over the city looking for a purpose.
2. People who cannot distinguish between local, state and federal government just hate authority in general. And frankly, they freak me out in a "wreckless disregard" sort of way.
3. Protestors have been warned for weeks as to the manner in which the police will respond if provoked. While most are peaceful, many are not. Either they are out looking to catch a beating for sport or to catch a glimpse of themselves bleeding from the head on the ten o'clock news.
4. The networks are hoping for mayhem to fill the news hours. It's like betting against your own team for ratings.
5. The city has basically shut down for business. And, it's 80 degrees and sunny in the suburbs.